Digital broadcasting is the future. And YouTube is at the forefront of providing a platform for those who have a voice: something to say, something to share, something to stand for.
There are 819,417,600 hours of video on YouTube. 10,113 Youtube videos generated over 1 billion views thus far in 2016. The total number of people who use YouTube? 1,300,000,000. And you should be one of them.
If these mind-blowing stats don’t entice you to run to your camera phone right now and record something then I don’t know what will.
Since I’ve started producing 5FM’s YouTube channel, 5FM TV, I have realised the power of this phenomenal medium. So when Cell C approached me about their #BreakTheNet talent search I jumped at the opportunity to share this with my followers. I sincerely believe YouTube is the future of broadcasting and a way for African broadcasters and entertainers to bring their content to the world!
And they really are providing the winner with a serious push in the right direction! The winner of the #BreakTheNet search walks away with a cool R250 000 AND (wait for a it…) a FULLY paid trip to Hollywood. Tinsel Town, Africa is a comin’!
Here’s how you enter:
- Create a mad hot one minute video. What counts as hot? You have YouTube, work it out.
- From 15 September – 15 October, you can upload your video on the Cell C Reality App. Anyone can enter, but only Cell C subscribers can win prizes.
- Once entries close, our mentors will pick 30 videos to become our chosen, shortlisted few.
- The 30 contestants will be given 5 challenges for the next 8 weeks. The first on 23 October.
- They’ll have 48 hours to create and upload their video, and then get it to go viral. And just like all internet stars, the ultimate winner will be chosen based on how many views they get.
Good luck rising YouTube stars! I can’t wait to see what you’ve got.